Role of Parents in Education of Hearing Impaired – enabling actions
While these activities are continuously going around at home parents should pay sufficient attention to the following:
- Take the help of special teachers to plan out the educational programme of the child.
- Enroll the child in an appropriate educational programme either in an integrated (regular school) or segregated (special school) set-up depending upon the child’s ability and achievements.
- Be a part and parcel of his/her daily lessons at school and inculcate listening, speech reading and reading skills.
- Meet the school teachers as often as possible to carry over and to follow up classroom teaching.
- Learn the techniques used by the teachers in the class-room to teach language and follow them at home.
- Discuss about your queries and doubts with the teachers. Also discuss any intimate daily happening, celebrations, outings within the family so that there is a carry over of the same in the class–room teaching.
- Be more supportive to the child in his/her success as well as in failures.
- Be a teacher and facilitator for learning and make the child independent and self sufficient.
- Motivate the child to interact with everybody around him/her.
- Inculcate good values and develop a sound moral character in the child.
- Help the children express themselves freely and involve them in all family interactions.
- Participate as equal partners in the education of your – children.